Relocating To Berlin - Candidate Story


Packing up your life and relocating to a new country seems like a daunting endeavour, yet many face the challenge when an unmissable job opportunity comes their way from overseas. One of our candidate success stories here at Sigmar recently moved to Berlin to work for Marley Spoon. Originally from Brazil, Nathan spent two years working in Dublin before making the leap to Berlin. We asked him a couple of questions to get an insight into how the relocation process was for him and his personal experience of living in Berlin.


How did you find the visa process?

“The company that hired me provided a relocation partner for handling all the paperwork, so the process was as smooth as it could be. From Dublin, I had to schedule an appointment at the German Embassy. They usually have slots available 1 or 2 months in the future, so waiting was the hardest part”.

“When I arrived in Berlin, I had to go to the Foreign Office twice - once to get my proof of residence and then again to get my work permit. My relocation agent accompanied me both times, which helped a lot”.


Was it difficult to organise your health insurance?

“Health insurance was handled by my company. I didn’t have to worry about it at all."


How did you find setting up a bank account?

“One of my colleagues recommended that I should set up an online bank account with N26, rather than a traditional bank. It was super simple, and I had a functional German bank account within a few days”.


What was the most challenging part of moving to Berlin?

“The most challenging part was finding an apartment. I had to live in a temporary apartment for the first two months which was quite expensive. Rent prices were higher than I expected, averaging around €800+ per month”.


Would you recommend making the move to Berlin to other internationals?

“Definitely! It's a mind opening experience, culturally rich and intense. You have everything you can imagine, and the city is beautiful. It's a place that makes you not want to stay at home on Sundays - this was new to me”.


How would you describe moving to Berlin overall?

“I felt that I was lucky because the transition was unbelievably easy. I'm having the best work experience I’ve ever had. The environment and the people are really something that have dictated my experience here. I would say that maybe it is the best place to live as an international: the city is very diverse, and I have already met people from about 30 countries in one month. Also, you can get a beer in a pub for just €3.”


Overall, it is safe to say that Nathan had a very positive experience relocating to Berlin receiving a lot of help from the company who hired him. Making the move can seem intimidating at the start but, with help from the right people, it can be a life changing decision.

Posted by Adam Dunne on 24 January 2019


Swedish Residence Permit

Swedish Residence Permit

If you are an EU citizen and plan to stay in Sweden for more than three months you will need a to have the right of residence. This means you must have means to support yourself. You do not need a residence permit and you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency. After living in Sweden for five years with the right of residence you will be granted permanent right of residence. With your permanent residence card, you will be eligible to apply for citizenship. Both EU and non-EU citizens must obtain a Personnummer number if they are living in Sweden for more than three months, this is an identification number that is given to all Swedes. It is obtained after you register in the Swedish population register. This can be obtained at a Skatteverket Office (Swedish Tax Agency). You will be required to have a Swedish address to register, as your Personnummer must be sent to your own Swedish address. You will not be able to open a bank account until you have received your Personnummer. This application is relatively straightforward for EU citizens. If you are a non-EU citizen, you will need a work permit to enter Sweden. An application for a work permit of three months or more is automatically issued with a residence permit application. Citizens of Nordic Countries Citizens of Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland may live in Sweden without obtaining a residence permit. All you must do is register with the Swedish Tax Agency to obtain your personnummer number. Required Documents You will need to bring the following documents; Passport or national ID card Documents showing your civil status Birth certificate, if you have children Proof of employment in Sweden 'anstallningbevis' A payslip if you have already started working This must be provided from your employer confirming that you will be working in Sweden. The employment certificate must be signed by your employer and you and must include the following; your name and your address your employer's name and address your employer's corporate identity number - organisationsnummer if you are employed on a fixed-term or indefinite-term basis or on a probationary or temporary basis other employment terms including employment date, period of notice, working hours, holiday leave, salary and benefits description of your duties collective agreement (if applicable)   Change of Address If at any time you move to a new address, you must report your new address to the Swedish Tax Agency.  It is free of charge to report and can easily be done with the use of the Tax Agency’s e-service. On the e-service you can print out the form and send it to them by mail.   Where do I register? In the below link you can locate your nearest Swedish tax agency location;   Leaving Sweden If at any point you decide to leave Sweden again you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency of your plans. If you move to another Nordic country the regulations of that country will determine if you will enter its population register. You will be removed from the Swedish population register after the Nordic country has registered you with their population register.


Visa Requirements in Sweden

Visa Requirements in Sweden

Work Permit If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit. If you work and have enough means to support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden. With that you do not need to register with or apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Board. You are entitled to start working immediately upon arrival in Sweden. You are also entitled to come to Sweden to search for work. More information may be found at Non-EU You cannot obtain a work permit to go to Sweden to look for a job. To obtain a work permit you must have been offered a job in Sweden, employees cannot enter the country until the permit is granted. To be eligible for a work permit you must; Have a valid passport Have been offered terms of employment that are at least on par with those set by Swedish collective agreements or which are customary within the occupation or industry Have been offered a salary that is at least on par with that set by Swedish collective agreements or which is customary within the occupation or industry Have been offered a position that will enable you to support yourself. In order to satisfy this support requirement, you need to work to an extent that will result in a salary of at least SEK 13,000 per month before taxes Have an employer who intends to provide insurance covering health, life, employment and pension when you begin to work.   Where To Apply You need to apply with the Swedish Migration Agency. The easiest way to apply is through an online application at;   Extending Your Work Permit In order to extend your work permit, your salary and other terms of employment must have been at least equivalent to what is stated in the collective agreement or is considered the practice in your profession or industry. You must also have worked to the extent that your wages reached at least SEK 13,000 per month, before taxes. These conditions must have been met during the entire time that you have held a work permit in Sweden.   Permanent Residence Permit You must live in Sweden for 4 years on a work permit before you would be eligible for permanent residency. You apply for a residence permit by submitting an application to your local Embassy or Consulate or in some cases directly to the Swedish Migration Board – Migrationsverket. One year after you obtain your permanent residency you will be eligible to apply for citizenship.   How long does it take to get a decision from Migrationsverket? You will have to be patient, because processing times are quite long, especially for first time applicants. The current waiting time for first time applicants are between 14 – 18 months. However, processing times for second time applicants are generally shorter, around a work week. Yet, this completely depends on the complexity of your application EU Blue Card If you are a non-EU national and have received an offer of a highly qualified job, you can apply for an EU Blue Card. You must have a university education equivalent to 180 university credits, or five years’ professional experience and a salary equal to at least one and a half times the average gross salary in Sweden.   In order to obtain an EU Blue Card, you must have; A valid passport A university education equivalent to 180 university credits, or five years’ relevant professional experience Taken out or applied for a comprehensive health insurance policy that covers health and medical care in Sweden An employment contract or offer of highly qualified employment lasting at least one year No less than one and a half times the average gross salary in Sweden, before taxes.   More information To read more information please visit: